Health balls have been doing the rounds for some years now and I have tasted many delicious versions. But it’s hard to beat these fudgy little chocolate, date and raw almond balls for taste and sheer simplicity of preparation.
I mean, a recipe with only three ingredients (four if you roll the balls in coconut) that doesn’t need any cooking is hard to beat. Even better, my chocolate, date and almond balls are gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free and vegan, so everyone can enjoy them.
- 250 grams dried dates
- 150 grams raw almonds (or any nut of your choice)
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa
- shredded coconut (optional, for decoration)
- Put dates in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes or until dates have softened. Drain dates and discard water.
- Place almonds in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Add dates and cocoa and continue to process until mixture is mixed well. Refrigerate mixture for an hour.
- Roll heaped teaspoon of mixture into balls and eat just as they are, or dip into shredded coconut.